Dana Stevens does a great analysis of the macho posturing at the Repug National Convention at Slate.

Among other points, she tackles Arnolds attack on “girlie men.”:

Let's approach it for a moment like a logical syllogism: According to Arnold's formulation, anyone who believes the American economy is in trouble is a girly man. If holding such a belief makes one similar to a girl, then anxiety about the economy must be a feminine, and hence laughable, trait. But Schwarzenegger didn't say that worrying about the economy made people (read: men) into girls. He said it made them into girly men. With the new category of "economic girlie men," everyone who has a problem with the debt, unemployment, or the future of Social Security has now become an effeminate male—a conversion that, for some of us, requires considerable maneuvering. Here I thought I was just a grown woman worrying about how to afford health insurance, but it turns out I'm a sissy man who thinks he's a girl, and who is also amusingly delusional about his/her perceived state of financial precariousness. I guess when I finally get insured, I'll need that doctor's appointment even more than I thought.

Read the rest of it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Republican Hat Trick

A Challenge to Voting Christians