You Don't Need an Ivy League Degree to Know Which Way Wind Blows

With the number of well-educated minds in Washington, D.C., the level of confusion there is very unsettling.

For instance, I'm no economist, but I knew that cutting revenue while increasing expenses was going to lead to a huge deficit. I've seen this concept at work in my own household.

I'm not a military strategist. I've never even been in the service. But I knew that sending American soldiers to "liberate" a country without that country's permission was going to lead to an increase in flag-draped coffins.

My foreign relations experience is limited to - well, OK, I have no foreign relations experience, either. Yet I knew that if we went to war with a small nation's Keystone cops military in the Middle East, against the wishes of the United Nations, we would suffer increased tarnishing of our reputation.

I'm not a historian, but it was painfully clear to me that Iraq had nothing to do with Sept. 11, contrary to the beliefs of most Americans and opposite of what the Bush administration wanted us to believe.

I'm no theologian, either. But I knew that something was wrong when then-candidate Bush listed Jesus Christ as his personal hero while presiding over a staggering number of executions. What would Jesus do, indeed.

Additionally, although I am certainly not an ethicist, I knew that awarding government contracts for work in Afghanistan and Iraq to companies that were large donors to the Bush 2000 campaign would appear improper and would result in the Iraqis being robbed.

So, in the light of staggering deficits, bungled diplomacy, compromised integrity and our nation's membership in the Soldier Casualty of the Day Club, maybe it's time to rethink those Ivy League educations. I don't have one, and neither do most of you.

But we know it's wrong to spend more than we make, invade our neighbor's houses, give the best jobs in our companies to our friends and get along with others.

I think most of us even get a shiver when we try to justify ourselves with the name of Jesus Christ.

Just a thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Republican Hat Trick

A Challenge to Voting Christians