I am a Democrat Because I am a Christian

It was bound to happen. As I've mentioned before in this space, my faith has frequently been called into question by those who believe that it is not possible for a Christian to be a Democrat.

Last night, at our weekly fellowship meeting, I was asked why, if I was so smart, I was a liberal? Now, I have never claimed to be liberal. But, I am a Democrat.

So, I thought it might be a good time to explain to those who know me, as well as those who have emailed me about my previous columns, why I am a Democrat.

Before I do, though, you should understand that as a child, I saw the incongruity of the faith/politics question. My understanding was that if you chose to follow Christ, you did not have the option to follow some of his teachings while ignoring others. It was all or nothing. Yet I experienced racist churches, scornful pastors and fire insurance Christians with a hateful streak.

Almost without fail, when the conversational paths of faith and politics cross, abortion is the prevailing topic. Christians who are also Republicans simply cannot fathom why a person would support the party that also supports a woman's right to choose the murder of her unborn child.

For the record, I oppose abortion, as do several grassroots organizations, including Democrats for Life, a national organization based in Washington, D.C. dedicated to assisting Democratic candidates who oppose abortion.

However, I am a Democrat because I understand that the problem of abortion is not one of convenience or simple choices. To stop abortion, we have to stop women from wanting them in the first place. Democrats favor social programs to help women care for their children, including WIC, AFDC, a living wage and creative child care solutions. I am a pro-life Democrat, but that life includes those on death row and those who are too young or too ill to care for themselves.

I am a Democrat because I believe that pre-emptive war is wrong. I believe that, as Jesus taught, peaceful solutions should be sought in every situation. Peaceful alternatives frequently run out, but the Democrats seem more likely to exhaust those alternatives before boosting the stock prices of American defense contractors.

I am a Democrat because I believe that it is immoral for a country as wealthy as America to have homelessness, hunger, poverty, and a lack of affordable health care for all of our citizens. It is disturbingly ironic that we have no money to help the poor, but an inexhaustible amount to bomb other nations into the Stone Age.

I am a Democrat because I reject the belief that all taxes are bad. We have the second lowest tax rate in the world. With a public school system in decay, increasing poverty and chronic homelessness, I think we should be willing to pay a little more if necessary.

I am a Democrat because I believe that God has put us in a position of stewardship over the Earth to protect and preserve it, not to plunder it for our own selfish gains and destroy ourselves and our children by creating toxic air and water.

I am a Democrat because I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but that our fixation with it is unbiblical and perhaps Freudian. Those without sin, grab that stone.

Homosexuals and unwed mothers considering abortion are not going to be swayed by hypocritical politicians or Christians who damn them to hell and tell them what they can and cannot do, while preaching the love of Jesus Christ. This has never worked in all of mankind's history, and it simply makes no sense.

People change when they see us walk our talk. People grow bitter and confused when we talk one way and walk the other.

Jesus said to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the prisoners, take care of widows and orphans, pursue peace at any cost and show mercy and compassion to all. He also added another commandment. To love our brothers.

I am a Democrat because I am a follower of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Republican Hat Trick

A Challenge to Voting Christians